Pages

Thursday 4 October 2018

REVIEW of the My Dressmaking Project Bible from Stationery Geek

REVIEW of the My Dressmaking Project Bible




Cheat Sheet at beginning of the book
Hey guys I’m here today with a quick-ish review of the Dressmaking Project Bible from Stationery Geek. I have a few products from Stationery Geek now and they are all a brilliant quality, I have their Crochet Project Bible, the Bloggers Bible, the Crochet Pencils, the lime green Wrap Around Pencil Case and now the Dressmaking Project Bible, and I have my eye on plenty more things on their website too! I have been using my Crochet Project Bible to keep track of some seriously intense projects, one of which is my Sophie’s Universe blanket which, if you don’t know, has over 100 rounds/rows and quite a few different coloured yarns to keep track of too, so I knew that the Dressmaking one would be amazing too, sometimes there’s just one too many things to try and keep everything straight in your head and to be honest with you that’s when mistakes will happen.

You have a choice of two sizes, A4 or A5, mine is A5 which I personally prefer because it means I can just pop it in my bag and take it to the fabric store with me easily and it has more than enough writing room, however the A4 would be equally as good, especially if you have larger hand writing. You can choose between the standard cover which says, “My Dressmaking Project Bible” or a personalised one, so you could have your name on the cover in place of “My”. There is even a new option to have it printed in a dyslexia friendly way, you can read more about it HERE, but basically instead of printing on bright white paper they will print on cream OR if you would prefer a particular colour then all you have to do is drop them an email and tell them which colour it is you want, you could even ring them if you wanted to discuss it further. The paper is also slightly thicker than their standard paper so that the printing on the other side can’t show through. They have done the research to make their dyslexia friendly range really and truly work and I for one and beyond impressed with their effort and dedication, I have family and friends that are dyslexic and trying to find notebooks etc that work for them that are also fun looking has been pretty much impossible, so I really am grateful for this range.

Blank Project Page
In the book there’s space to record all the details for up to 50 projects and there are a few pages at the beginning with some useful info, there is measurement conversion charts, some abbreviations, a list of useful tools, a space for a wish list, a VERY hand women’s dress size conversion chart and LOADS of space for notes and doodles. When you get to the main part of the book each project has 2 pages dedicated to it, a page to keep all the information about the project including a space to write any washing instructions, pattern amendments etc and the other page is just grid paper which I’ve used to draw up a tension table, but you can use it for anything you can even tweak it depending on the project you’re doing. As you can see from the photos I decided to give the headings a pop of colour by colouring them in using my fineliner pens :) I like to use a lot of colour in my Project Bibles to keep them looking fun and interesting (one day I'll show you my crochet one!

Details for my Kingston Jacket
The only dressmaking project I’ve recorded in my book so far is my Kingston Jacket, I realised while making that how important keeping track of tension is when dressmaking, especially when it’s a project that’s using two different fabrics or threads, that’s why I used the grid paper to draw up a tension table as well as a very rough sketch of the finished jacket… I was using denim, jersey fabric, sew-all thread and top stitching thread so there was a lot to keep an eye on. Not everyone will need a tension table because I have seen that some machines have auto tension control, mine doesn’t so that’s why I drew the table. I have a sewing machine and an overlocker, so it was even more crucial and meant I also had to think about the differential feed which had different settings for both the denim and the jersey.

A very quick, rough sketch of my jacket and the Machine Settings Table

In short I absolutely love the Dressmaking Project Bible, before I had it I was using various notebooks and scraps of paper to keep track of everything, so this is great it keeps everything in one place and means I won’t lose any crucial bits of information, it also means if I ever want to remake a pattern I can go back to see if I had written any notes on it to make the second time easier. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from Stationery Geek again, in fact I really want their Quilting Project Bible next!

If you use the following link then you'll get 10% off of your first order on the Stationery Geek website. (It's a referral link so I will get a £5 voucher to spend with them if you use it) 10% Off First Order

And this link will take you directly to the Dressmaking Project Bible! Dressmaking Project Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

SpoolPod & Garment Planner Notepad Review!

Hey guys! I'm back today reviewing some bits from Creative Industry . When they emailed me asking me if I'd like to review their new...