Pages

Saturday 14 October 2017

My Lost in Time Shawl



Yarn: Scheepjes Whirl in Lemon Cassis Cream
and Scheepjes Catona in Old Lace
Hook: 4mm Clover Amour 

So, much like everyone else I have become OBSESSED with gradient yarns... for me the Scheepjes Whirl was a total must have, every time they post about their new colours I immediately have a new favourite, I always knew that when I got one that I'd make a triangle shawl with it and after hours of scrolling through Ravelry I had my pattern, the Lost in Time Shawl by Mijocrochet.


Pattern

I wasn't a very experienced crocheter when I attempted this project, in fact I think it was only my second proper project, the pattern was well written and has photos to explain certain rows, but I would suggest reading the pattern to the end of the row to make sure you know exactly what to do before you start as there is a slight difference in how the pattern is written as the designer is from Sweden, the charts were handy to have as well because of this, on the whole though I didn't find the pattern too hard to follow and the trick is to keep an eye on your stitch count. At the beginning it's not really a problem as the rows are smaller, I was able to tell by eye if there was something not quite right but when you get into the repeats it can get hard and the last thing you want is to have to frog any of the longer rows! So my advice is don't be afraid to use stitch markers to keep track of the repeats within the rows and take breaks, it refreshes your eyes and your focus and will make the whole thing so much more enjoyable.

Yarn

The Scheepjes Whirl is incredible to work with, the colour changes are so subtle as they happen one strand at a time that I didn't realise that some of them were even happening, you can't see the joins either, as you are working it up you'll see a kind of fluffy bit but when it's worked in you can't see it at all which is amazing! I'm quite a tight crocheter so I used a 4mm hook and managed to do 6 swag sections in total + the border and 2 tassels with one Whirl, I used Catona for the very last row of the border because I tried to continue using the Whirl and decided that it didn't really look finished, so I tried the Catona that I had left over from my Hygge Shawl kit and was pleasantly surprised with the effect and decided to finish it off with it.



All in all I was really pleased with this project, I think the yarn and pattern are perfect together and I love how the colours of the Whirl make the different stitches pop. I will definitely use the Scheepjes Whirl again, in fact I have a few projects in mind already, and I wouldn't hesitate to do another pattern from Mijocrochet either.

6 comments:

  1. This patterns has really frustrated me. Maybe you could help me out. For instance, I have gone over Row 6 over and over. I have even sketched it out, but I cannot for the life of me come up with 13dc for each side. I fall short and come up with only 12dc for each side. I have finished more complicated patterns, but I am close to giving up on this and I have barely started!

    Thank you,
    Jessica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica I'll try my hardest to help! Are you doing a dc in the same stitch as the ch3 at the beginning? And 2dc in the last stitch? And have you checked the stitch count for row 5? If it's easier you can message me on Instagram it might be easier for me to see a picture of the shawl if you haven't frogged it :)

      Delete
    2. I have frogged it. I am certain I did those things, but I think starting from square one might help. I did this yesterday and just needed to walk away! Thanks for getting back so quickly. I will try again tonight and give an update.

      Delete
    3. No worries. Yeah walking away was definitely for the best, it's no good if you aren't enjoying it. Keep me posted :)

      Delete
    4. I am quite certain that asking you for help was all I needed. I think I was skipping over the very first chain on that row.

      Regarding your post, you did a very lovely job. Your color choices are exquisite!

      Delete
    5. Woohoo! So glad you've cracked it! Let me know if you need any more help. I have the stitch counts for the repeats written down with my pattern, if you would find that helpful let me know and I'll add it to the post!

      Thank you. I LOVE the Scheepjes Whirls the colours are awesome! :)

      Delete

SpoolPod & Garment Planner Notepad Review!

Hey guys! I'm back today reviewing some bits from Creative Industry . When they emailed me asking me if I'd like to review their new...